Can I collect if the party that hit me does not have insurance?

People often ask what they are entitled to receive if they are in an accident and the other driver does not have insurance. In that situation, it is first necessary to determine what amount of uninsured motorist coverage is on the vehicle.

Uninsured motorist coverage covers injury to you, your relatives and other people in your car caused by a driver of another car that is not insured. Generally, in Connecticut the standard amount is equal to the liability coverage, i.e., if you have 100k of liability coverage you may have 100k in uninsured motorist coverage.

However, in Connecticut there is also a minimum of 20k required for all insurance policies (40k total accident). If your insurance carrier wants to limit your uninsured motorist coverage to below your liability coverage amount, they must follow specific practices and procedures in order to lower the amount of uninsured motorist coverage available to you.

At Alan Barry & Associates, LLC we are skilled at ensuring that your insurance company pays the full amount of the coverage due under the circumstances. If you insurance company does not think that your injuries warrant full payment of the uninsured motorist policy, we can initiate a law suit against your own insurance company to ensure that you are paid for the full extent of your injuries.

In addition, if you insurance company tells you that you only have 20k in uninsured motorist coverage, and the company did not follow the legal procedures to limit your coverage, we can sue the insurance company to increase the amount of coverage available to compensate you for your injuries.