How a jury determines the amount to award for pain and suffering in Connecticut?

In some states, the plaintiff’s attorney is prohibited from commenting on the value of pain and suffering. However, in Connecticut, the lawyer for the plaintiff is permitted to assist the jury in determining a value of pain and suffering during closing argument.

Under Connecticut General Statutes Sec. 52-216b, counsel for any party to the action shall be entitled to specifically articulate to the jury during closing arguments, in lump sums or by mathematical formulae, the amount of past and future economic and noneconomic damages claimed to be recoverable, including damages for pain and suffering. Therefore, a Connecticut pain and suffering lawyer can propose to the jury yearly amounts based on the life expectancy of the plaintiff to be awarded in one lump sum. This lump sum amount can be considerably more than what would otherwise be awarded.

Generally, unless the monetary award for pain and suffering is so large that the jury verdict shocks the sense of justice, the award will not be overturned by the court.

A Connecticut pain and suffering attorney can use any available evidence to convince the jury of an amount to award the plaintiff. However, in Connecticut a plaintiff may also recover damages for pain and suffering even when such pain and suffering is evidenced exclusively by the plaintiff’s own testimony at trial.

If you or someone you know has been injured, contact the pain and suffering lawyers at Alan Barry & Associates, LLC for a free consultation and case review. Call us at (203) 797 – 9600 to set up your free consultation with an experienced Connecticut pain and suffering attorney today.

Our firm is located in Danbury, CT and our clients live and work throughout the state of Connecticut. We practice regularly in Fairfield County, Litchfield County, New Haven County and Hartford County (major court facilities are located in Stamford, Bridgeport, Danbury, Milford, New Haven, Waterbury and Hartford). We also routinely handle cases in other areas of Connecticut.